Terms of Reference (TOR) In-Country Expert for the NDC Partnership
The NDC Partnership is a coalition of countries and institutions committed to supporting countries in implementing and increasing the ambition of their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs). The Government of the Republic of Armenia joined the NDC Partnership in August 2018 and aims to develop a Partnership Plan to advance its mitigation and adaptation actions, a strategic climate action plan and pipeline of projects towards 2020.
In this context, recognizing the importance of having a country-based interface with knowledge of the local reality to serve as coordinator, articulator and mobilizer of actors and resources to develop the NDC Partnership Plan under guidance of the Ministry of Environment of Armenia, the Ministry of Economy as well as UNDP Armenia in its role as Facilitator.
The Expert will report and advise NDC Partnership’s Focal Points (in the Ministry of Environment and the Ministry of Economy). S/He will be guided substantively by UNDP Office in Armenia and work closely the NDC Partnership Support Unit.
Roles and responsibilities
The role of the Expert is to provide strategic advice to the Focal Points: support coordination and mobilization of actors and resources for the development and implementation of the NDC Partnership Plan in Armenia, including NDC-related activities and processes. The Expert plays a central role in ensuring coordination and coherence of activities under the NDC Partnership country engagement process. This involves working with the Focal Points and partners to:
• support the Republic of Armenia in articulating needs, priorities and developing indicators to the development and implementation of the Partnership Plan;
• support coordination and alignment of activities
• regularly liaise and coordinate with partners as NDC related activities such as including EU4Climate, Country Programming for GCF, National Adaptation Planning (NAP), the Capacity-building Initiative for Transparency (CBIT) are implemented – to ensure alignment and coherence of actions;
• coordinate the development of NDC Partnership Plan through the engagement of the different ministries, governmental and non-governmental organizations, private sector and international partners; organize and facilitate (as needed) sectoral consultations, dialogues, meetings, house-to-house calls;
• facilitate information sharing and periodic exchange with national and international partners including development and implementing partners who are not NDC Partnership members involved in NDC-related activities in the country;
• liaise with the NDC Partnership Support Unit for vertical (national / regional / global) information-sharing to contribute to and access knowledge relevant for country engagement;
• provide inputs for identifying and disseminating information on best practices and lessons learned;
• track the progress of in-country engagement and provide periodic progress updates to the NDC Partnership Steering Committee, through UNDP Armenia and SU;
• Advice the focal point and NDCP Support Unit on any issues arising that need their attention, including risks and opportunities for the Partnership and in relation to the Partnership Plan.In-Country Expert for the NDC Partnership
• Development of NDC Partnership Plan for Armenia having a demand side that represents a pipeline of outputs for NDC implementation, and a supply side, where support for these outputs is gathered and elaborated through consultations with partners Monthly update of activities, meetings towards development of the Partnership Plan through the Interactions with implementing partners and government institutions, including meeting outcomes, and as needed, identification opportunities, foreseen challenges/bottlenecks and recommendations to mitigate these.
Completion of at least two dialogues in 2019, to support the identification of priorities and needs related to NDC implementation, climate action planning, etc.
• Provide input and recommendations on NDC-related activities as requested by the NDC Partnership Focal Points and the NDC Partnership Support Unit;
• Other tasks related to the implementation of NDCs in Armenia.
Skills and competences:
• Excellent communication, articulation and coordination skills;
• Understands different interests and ensure conciliation and coordination of activities;
• Meets goals and deadlines with quality and consistency;
• Assumes responsibility and works for target achievement, overcoming obstacles, setbacks and uncertainties;
• Uses resources, methods, partners and information effectively;
• Takes initiative and lead processes;
• Analyzes complex technical materials (including data) and makes them concise and relevant;
• Introduces complex conceptual ideas in practical terms to others;
• Adapts the communication to the specific target audience;
• Constantly looks for opportunities to learn and share;
• Demonstrates behaviors such as teamwork, knowledge sharing, and relationship maintenance;
• Encourages collaboration and improves performance;
• Excellent verbal and written communication in Armenian and English
• Master’s degree in Environmental Studies, Public Policy, Economics, or a closely related field
• At least ten years of experience in public, private or third sector institutions with a special focus on coordination and articulation of different actors, preparation and implementation of multi-stakeholder work plans, resource mobilization, preparation of proposals for climate actions, monitoring and project evaluation and project management;
• Very good understanding of Armenia’s Government’s climate change and environmental policies and approval procedures;
• Experience and knowledge of climate change and Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs);
• Fluency in Armenian and English languages;
• Sound writing and communications skills;
• In-depth knowledge of the national plans, strategies and policies related to climate change in Armenia;
• Experience and relevant skills in the use of the Office suite (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.);
• Advanced knowledge of Excel and other tools and packages for project management purposes.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation - max 70 points
• Criteria A: Relevant education and working experience - max 20 points
• Criteria B: Good knowledge of climate change policy issues – max 20 points;
• Criteria C: Professional experience in strategic programs and national plans development - max 30 points.
• Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation - max. 30 points.
• The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowest price proposal. All other price proposals receive points in inverse proportion.
*Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive daily fee and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee, health insurance, and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services).
Mining Inspection Body
Tel:(+374 10) 55 20 62
of the Ministry
Environmental Protection and Mining Inspection Body was defined as a subordinate body to the Government by the RA law on “State administration system bodies” adopted on March 23, 2018, thus citizens may send their calls and applications to the Head of the Inspection Body (Address: Koryun 1, 3750009 Yerevan, tel. (+374 15) 48 48 48).